My philosophy about my classes -

Photography is art.

True art comes from the soul. But like any art, it takes practice and knowledge to attain the foundational technical skills necessary to use the medium you have chosen to it's fullest potential. After you understand the rules, then you can feel free to break them whenever you want. But you can't break rules on purpose if you don't know they exist.

A truly great photograph is a combination of skill, vision, and intention. Sometimes it even involves a little bit of luck. But if you have to rely on luck to get great photographs, you've yet to master the craft.

That is the foundation of my class philosophy.

It is what drives my class work ethic - my students pay me quite a large sum of what is probably hard earned money. I want my students to be so happy with the information and skills they receive from me and my classes that they can't stop talking about it. And the only way to do that is to make sure I am giving 110% of myself to each student. If my students aren't happy, I'm not happy. I will do everything in my power to work to make sure they are getting more than what they expected from my classes.

DETAILS

Classes are 12 weeks long and made up of 6 two week assignments with one optional pre-session assignment focused only on artistic vision.

The six assignments are split into two groups: 3 focusing on artistic vision and 3 focusing on technical skills. The assignments alternate between these two groups as I work to create layers of foundational information, building one skill set on top of another in order to give students a workable set of tools at their disposal. However, assignments are not limited to being either artistic or technical, there are undercurrents of the other in each one.

All assignments are given with the intention of getting the image right the first time, in-camera. This includes correct exposure, composition, and crop.

Each assignment also comes with a step in the workflow of post processing. The pre-session assignment covers the basics of how to process a photo (including when to defog and sharpen) and then Photoshop skills are discussed. These include adjusting white balance, giving photos a crisp and clean color boost and how to properly do black and white conversions.

Each class is limited to 6 students. Those six students have access to a private web-based forum that contains all of the information for their specific class as well as areas to post questions, concerns, photos for critique, and anything else they desire. I encourage my students to interact heavily with each other and with me. The more involved each student is on the forum message board, the more likely they are to get as much out of the class as possible.

Assignments are turned in during hour long one-on-one chats with me. At that time, I discuss with each student their images as well as problems or concerns they may have. I walk them through some of the processes and discuss images in detail. Transcripts of these chats are made available to all of the students in that class, further allowing other students to learn.

I know this little detail list doesn't have a lot of personality. It's hard to write this in a professional manner and also retain my quirky sense of humor. It sounds so very structured and rigid when written out this way. In reality, I am very low-key. I joke around with my students and feel that a fun learning environment is the only way to go. The more fun people have, the more they learn and the more they want to learn. I work hard to create a relaxed atmosphere within both the forum board and the chats.

Registration Information

NEW REGISTRATION POLICY EFFECTIVE MARCH 2008

To register: send an email to wsphotography@cox.net with information regarding which session you would like to be in.

I will add your name and email to a waitlist for that session of classes.
Classes are filled from the waitlist from the top down. If you pass on the class when your time comes up you may bump ONE TIME to the next available class. If you pass when the class is offered to you again, you will be then placed at the bottom of the current waitlist.

Once you are on a waitlist, you are set. As soon as a class opens up for you, you will receive an email from me with details regarding start and end dates for that class.

Currently, the waitlists of the Continuing Education and Advanced Sessions are one class out. The waitlist for the Beginner Session is quite lengthy -- at least a year.

Those registering for the advanced class will need to send an email with requested the information listed below. I will review the information submitted and make a decision on if the advanced class is the best place for you. If you even THINK you might be ready for the advanced class, please give it a try. I'd rather turn you down for the advanced class than have you wait for the beginner class only to find that you've underestimated yourself.

Registration is still on a first come, first serve basis. I fill the waitlists in the order emails are received.

If you register for the advanced class but I feel you would be better off in the beginner class, I will adjust the first come, first serve que to reflect where your registration came in. I'm all about being completely fair.

To receive updates about registration information, be sure to sign up for the notification newsletter in the sidebar.

Dates and Fees

I will run 3 different classes this go around:

Continuing Education Class
8 weeks, $350
Currently running one class in March and anticipating another class to run in September of 2008

Beginner Workshop
12 weeks, $475
Next class begins in April. I will run 4 or 5 sessions during the summer and one or two during the fall.

Advanced Workshop
12 weeks, $475
next advanced class will run in the fall

Continuing Education:

Open to alumni of previous sessions only. This class will have six openings and will run for 8 weeks. Class fees for this session will be $350, with a $100 non-refundable deposit.

Beginner Workshop:

Open to all beginning to mid-level students. This session is the traditional 12 week session, open to six students.

Advanced Workshop:

Open to advanced students only. This session is also still the traditional 12-weeks and is open to six students.

All students, at the end of each session, have the opportunity to sign up for the Alumni Forum - a message board dedicated exclusively to students who have participated in any of my classes. There is no charge for the forum.

Class fees for the Beginner and Advanced Workshops are $475 per session if you register and pay 30 days in advance. If you miss that deadline and still want to be in the class, your registration fee is $575. Both of these fees include a $175 non-refundable deposit, due within 72 hours of confirmation of registration.(see fine print)

Payment must be sent either through paypal or by money order. I am not equipped to accept credit cards at this time and am not willing to take the risk of accepting personal checks. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sign up for the notification newsletter in the sidebar if you are interested in registering for a future class. An email will be sent when registration for those classes opens. Thanks!

**Fee Fine Print**

$175 non-refundable deposit holds your spot in the class and is due within 72 hours of confirmation for registration. The remaining $300 is due 30 days before class starts.

Cut off dates are included with registration information. If payment is not received in full a minimum of 30 days before the beginning of class, you are subject to paying the extra $100 for late registration for a grand total of $575.

You may request to switch which class you are in one time, to another class with an open spot, without losing your deposit. After that, the $175 deposit is lost and if you wish to be in a different class you must re-submit a new $175 deposit.

If at any time you are contacted by me to ask if you would like to move up to a sooner class and it is less than 30 days to the start of the new class, you will NOT be required to pay the extra $100 late registration fee, (nor will you lose your $175 deposit due to switching of classes.)

What's the Difference Between the Advanced Class and The Beginner Class

Students in the Beginner class will focus on beginning technical and compositional skills. This includes shooting exclusively in manual mode, understanding the basics of good composition and how to achieve balance, creative use of Depth of Field and aperture, how to read the light, and more. If you do not qualify for the advanced class, you are in the Beginner class. Beginner is a term to use lightly, as you may find you are beyond what you would classify as a "beginner" but you just aren't ready for the advanced class. That's OKAY! I adapt the class to meet the needs of each of my students, so no matter where you are at, you WILL learn.

To be in the Advanced class, you must have a solid understanding of the exposure triangle, feel confident shooting in manual mode, and be able to do basic editing in some version of photo editing software. Advanced classes focus on getting correct exposure the first time, all the time, even in tricky situations, combining multiple rules of composition, exploring and solidifying your personal style, breaking photographic rules for artistic purposes, reading the light, converying emtion and shooting images with intention, and more.

Advanced Students must submit the following before registration will be confirmed:
-A BRIEF explanation of the exposure triangle
-A short paragraph on why they feel they need a mentor style photography workshop
-A link to at least 10 current images. If you do not have images on the web somewhere, let me know in your email and we'll work out a way for me to view some of your work
-A list of your current kit (body brand and model, lenses, and photo editing software)
-If you work in the photography field, a link to your business website or blog

What is involved in the Continuing Education Course?

Contents of this class include 3 photoshop tutorials. The main focus of this class is understanding and using light. The first assignment focuses on color and texture along with several new rules of composition. The next three assignments cover light: understanding/reverse engineering light, sunbursts/sunflare/glare/rimlight, and then how to use alternate continuous light sources (not flash) to acheive flattering and creative results.



Testimonials from Past Students

"I first approached Wendy about mentoring me because I had been admiring her style for quite a while. Her images of children and families evoked such warmth and depth and she definitely had all the technical aspects of photography down. I knew this was someone I could learn from if I could convince her to take me under her wing. Now, six months later, I am still astounded by what I've learned from Wendy. Not only did she help me see my own photographs with a more critical eye but she taught me to shoot with intentionality in order to create images that I love. If I had to point to one thing that changed my photography the most it would be my time with Wendy Schulz." - Erin Cobb


"I am now about three weeks into our 12-week course. The time, effort, personal attention and solid technical and artistic instruction Wendy puts forth for her students is amazing. She is a gifted teacher and is able to break down technical concepts in easy to understand assignments. The information builds from week to week and she has a reason and a plan for what, how and why we learn and when. Wendy limits her class size to six students and establishes a forum so we can all share our work, offer constructive criticism and ask, ask, ask away. She answers our questions almost immediately. There is such a range of experience and variety of talent among our classmates, we get all kinds of fantastic feedback, reviews and information shared among us.

I think this class is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. I am loving it." -
Carrie


"I have been into photography for a few years - and have learned a lot on my own from reading and participating on message boards. When it was time time for me to take a photography workshop, I found Wendy's Blog/website. I am so happy I found Wendy - she was exactly what I needed. I have learned so much from Wendy - from finding light, all about composition, all kinds of photoshop tricks, to finding my own style. Not only is she a great teacher, but she is a great person .. she is always there to answer any question you might have, wether you be beginner of advanced. Anyone interested in a photography workshop should not hesitate to take Wendy's workshop, it has been a fantastic experience for me." - Julie


"Wendy’s class is simply fabulous. With her thoughtful assignments, small class sizes and 1:1 chats, I am gaining confidence with my camera! During Wendy’s class I have gone from shooting automatic to manual. From fiddling with photoshop to post processing with direction. From taking the same picture over and over to seeking out new and interesting compositions. My photography is improving leaps and bounds! In both the technical and artistic sides of photography, Wendy is there to guide me along with straightforward answers and a big dose of humor. Wendy Schulz has a gift for teaching. I feel fortunate to be one of her lucky students!" -Elizabeth


Not enough for you? Read a lengthy article from a student HERE